A thesis statement:
- tells you define the point of your research
- helps organize and develop your argument
- limits your subject to a particular focus related to a larger topic
- is supported by the evidence you found in your research
- points to your conclusion
Like the "scientific method" used in an applied research project, the thesis
statement created at this pre-writing stage
is like a hypothesis that must be proved or disproved. Count on
changing it after you have found enough information to support
or refute your statement.
Remember: the research process is NOT truly as linear as it appears.